Are there calories in coffee? Good news for all coffee lovers! There are almost no calories in black coffee or espresso. The same extends to cold brew and iced coffee variations.
But what about a latte? This is where it gets more complicated. The calorie count can rapidly increase when you start adding other ingredients such as milk and sugar. As a fitness enthusiast and coffee addict myself I have done intensive research to understand the calorie content in most coffee beverages.
If you are trying to figure out how many calories you are adding with your daily cup of coffee, you are in the right place. We have put together a list of the most popular coffee drinks and the caloric content in each drink. If you want to learn more about calories in coffee and tips to enjoy your favorite coffee drink while keeping calories to a minimum, keep reading.
|Drink||Calories per 8 ounces (240 ml)|
|Black coffee with single original creamer (11ml)||12|
|Black coffee with single French Vanilla creamer (11ml)||32|
|Black coffee with a teaspoon of sugar||18|
|Cappuccino (with 2% milk)||42|
|Cappuccino (with whole milk)||50|
|Cappuccino (with oatmilk barista edition)||47|
|Cappuccino (with almond milk)||14|
|Latte (with 2% milk)||52|
|Latte (with whole milk)||62|
|Latte (with oatmilk barista edition)||59|
|Latte (with almond milk)||17|
|Macchiato (with 2% milk)||32|
|Macchiato (with whole milk)||38|
|Macchiato (with oatmilk barista edition)||36|
|Macchiato (with almond milk)||11|
|Flat White (with 2% milk)||38|
|Flat White (with whole milk)||45|
|Flat White (with oatmilk barista edition)||43|
|Flat White (with almond milk)||13|
|Mocha (with 2% milk)||70|
Does coffee have calories?
Coffee itself has virtually no calories. However, it all depends on how you drink it. While black coffee has less than 5 calories, if you start adding milk and sugar the calorie count starts to increase. This is the calorie content in the most common added ingredients in coffee beverages.
- Sugar (1 teaspoon): 16 calories
- Creamer (1 tablespoon): 25 calories
- Heavy Cream (1 tablespoon): 52 calories
- Whole milk (1 cup): 74 calories
- 2% milk (1 cup): 62 calories
- Nonfat milk (1 cup): 41 calories
- Oatmilk original (1 cup): 60 calories
- Oatmilk Barista edition (1 cup): 70 calories
- Almond milk (1 cup): 20 calories
How to reduce calories in coffee
- Drink it black: The best way to reduce calories in coffee is to avoid added ingredients. You can choose between black coffee, espresso, americano or cold brew. All of these options have almost 0 calories.
- Use artificial sweeteners: Yet, we know that not everyone enjoys drinking plain black coffee. If you definitely need to add sugar or creamer, there are some low-calorie options such as artificial sweeteners and half and half creamers.
- Choose a low calorie milk: Your choice of milk is also really important to keep the total calorie count low. Instead of using whole milk or even 2%, opt for low calorie options such as nonfat milk or almond milk if you are looking for a milk alternative.
- Use sugar free syrups: Finally, if you are having flavored coffee drinks, such as mochas or pumpkin spice lattes, there are some sugar free syrup alternatives you can use.
- Reduce your serving size: So do you still want to get that Starbucks blonde vanilla latte because it makes you happy? Maybe get a tall one instead of a venti.
Starbucks Coffee Calories
It is easier to keep track of the calories in your coffee when you are starting with a cup of black coffee and adding milk and sugar. But what if you are ordering a drink at Starbucks? Well, luckily Starbucks has the nutrition information for most of its drinks available on their website (link). If you are trying to keep your calorie consumption to a minimum, here are some Starbuck drinks with less than 100 calories:
- Tall cappuccino with 2% milk: 100 calories
- Honey Almondmilk Cold Brew: 50 calories
- Tall Iced Honey Almond milk Flat White: 100 calories
- Tall Skinny Cinnamon Dolce Latte: 100 calories
- Grande Iced Shaken Espresso: 100 calories
- Tall Iced Blonde Vanilla Bean Coconut Milk Latte: 90 calories
- Espresso Con Panna: 35 calories
Does black coffee have calories?
The number of calories in black coffee is so low that it is not even worth adding them to your daily calorie tracker. A standard cup of coffee (8 oz) has less than 5 calories.
How many calories are in a cup of coffee with cream?
1 tablespoon of coffee creamer has on average 25 calories. Then, if you have a sweet tooth and drink your coffee with 4 tablespoons of creamer that adds up to 100 calories.
How many calories are in cold brew?
Similar to black coffee, cold brew has no added ingredients other than well coffee. Then, the calorie count is still below 5.
Does coffee burn calories?
Coffee helps boost your metabolic rate and increase fat burning. Also, coffee can help with appetite control which in the long term will have a positive effect on your weight.
How many calories are in a cup of coffee with milk?
It would depend on the type of milk you are using and the quantity of milk you are adding. Whole milk is the more caloric option with 74 calories in a cup (4 oz). Using non-fat milk would reduce this to 42 calories. The healthiest option is almond milk with only 20 calories in a cup.